Sources for the symbol tables
The sources for the symbols should be freely available or there must be explicit permission to use these symbols. The best source for this is Wikipedia or its media repository, Wikimedia Commons. Furthermore, we have permission to use the old myGEOtools tables. There are certainly a number more possible sources.
NO source is kryptografie.de, where we unfortunately got an explicit refusal to cooperate!
- The images are saved as PNG files.
- Optimally, the images are 150×150 pixels in size. If the original source does not provide this resolution, of course, nothing can be done. The color choice is also important. If black and white is sufficient, you should leave it at that. This saves memory.
- Please make sure that the symbols are aligned evenly, so that they look orderly in the overall picture – and not one symbol sticks to the right edge and the next one to the top, etc.
- It would also be nice if the images had a transparent background. This would make it easier to change the design later, when the icons should be highlighted with a different color. But this is not planned at the moment. That’s why it’s not a problem if you provide the symbol images with a white background. Graphically inexperienced people often have a hard time with this step and then shy away from all the work. So please don’t let this discourage you, this is a nice-to-have.
The filename should indicate what the symbol represents.
- For lower case letters an “_” is set in front of the letter.
- For diacritics these will be added with an “_” and their english name like “acut”.
- For special characters the englisch name like “degree” is used. A list of the characters can be found here.
So A.png, _x.png, _ch.png, SCH.png, 0.png, 1000.png, percent.png, UE_umlaut, U_circumflex.png etc.
- Finally put all symbols into an archive file of your choice (zip, 7z, rar, …) and send it to us e.g. geocache.wizard [ät] gmail.com